- COBBLERZ LATEST COLLECTIONPosted 2 days ago
- JACQUELINE FERNANDEZ @ SHANGRI-LA HOTEL, MUMBAIPosted 5 days ago
- DAPPER SUMMER SUITS FROM FENDI KIDS @ LES PETITSPosted 5 days ago
- FATHER’S DAY COLLECTION @ TOMMY HILFIGERPosted 6 days ago
- NEON COLLECTION BY DESIGNER ANURADHA RAMAMPosted 7 days ago
- FIGHT MONSOON SKIN PROBLEMS WITH AYURVEDIC DETOX MASSAGE @ ARISTO SPAPosted 8 days ago
- ILEANA DCRUZ LAUNCHED CLEAR ANTI DANDRUFF SHAMPOOSPosted 9 days ago
- ENTICE PRESENTS FLORAL JEWELLERY COLLECTIONPosted 13 days ago
- TALLBIRD™ EMU LAUNCHES INDIA’S FIRST EVER REFINED EMU OILPosted 15 days ago
- JENIFER LOPEZ SPOTTED POSING IN A FALGUNI & SHANE PEACOCK CREATIONPosted 15 days ago
BEATS OF PASSION
Posted By Shruti Sharma on 2011-05-28 12:06:37
DJ Ashish Nagpal spins the confessions of being a rockstar behind the console.
There’re so many spin doctors these days that it has become impossible to distinguish one from the other. Still there’re performers like Ashish who have created a niche for themselves. The DJ, who performed at the recently concluded Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week, gets talking about his journey so far.
Is it all fun on the console?
It can be stressful if you do it just for the heck of it. Only fun and no focus is of no use.
Have you ever been man-handled by a girl in any party?
Do you really want to call that man handling.
DJ ASHISH’S TOP 10 PICKS
1. Three drives on a vinyl – Greece 2000
2. Rapture – iio
3. Rigga Ding Dong Song – Passion Fruit
4. Saturday Night – Whigfield
5. Return of the mac – Mark Morrison
6. Mundiya toh bach ke rahe – Punjabi MC
7. Lady – Modjo
8. Tubthumping – Chumbawamba
9. Bamboogie (Get down tonight) – A night at the Roxbury
10. Sweet Child O Mine – Guns n Roses
Does a lack of attendance affect your performance?
It hurts but I give my best even if I’m playing for 10 or 10,000 people.
Has the remuneration standards improved?
It has but a DJ needs to be respected and recognised as an artist.
Which are the fests that you really look forward to mixing at?
Europe and NYC as they have some mind-blowing dance music fests. In India, Sunburn Festival and Goa. I even love performing at college fests because it gives a different high.
Bollywood or Western, which one is the winner on the floor?
I love to play top international tunes but Bollywood rules the masses in every possible manner.
Mass or class, what would you pick?
Class! But not when I’m performing at college fests. Both excite me.
Not many DJs like people requesting a particular track.
I do if they’re ‘actually requested’.
Name a few of your arch rival.
I guess I haven’t reached that stage of having
Were you born to mix?
I was into sports but new sounds attracted me. During my college days, when DJs were the in thing, I decided to be professional and started training. I knew I could do it.
Which genre clicks instantly?
Depends on the mood and individual choice. Every club has a different target audience, which decides the kind of music that’ll be played.
Tips for aspiring DJs.
Master every genre, don’t copy, listen to music all around, be ethical in dealings, develop your own style and respect your industry.
Most memorable performances.
The pool party season launch at Aqua, New Delhi in April 2007, F Bar & Lounge launch in Feb 2008, Wills India Fashion Week 2011 and a couple of parties where I played along with top foreign DJs.
Where do you like to party in Delhi?
Preferably at home.
Last Updated on 2011-05-28 12:06:37